When my friend, Swarnali, suggested I make Walnut Shell Minions, I promptly agreed. But it turned out to be quite a challenge. I spent days thinking about how to make the arms and legs, their peculiar eyes, and most importantly, the clothes. Finally, I used lots of tape and other things:
Materials I used to make walnut shell minions:
- walnut shells
- pistachio shells
- acrylic paint
- wiggly eyes
- black string /twine
- plastic straw
- paper chord
- lots of tape of various colors
The first two steps are easy and obvious:
- Stick the two halves of each walnut shell together. While doing so, insert a few pieces of black string between the two halves, at the end where the head is supposed to be. This forms the sparsely hair.
- The boots – this I did not have to think about. I made the boots by painting the pistachio shells black.
- Now, between the boots and the torso, must come the tiny legs. To make the legs, I cut small pieces of straw and stuffed them with thermocol to make them sturdy.
- These I then wrapped in tape that also formed the clothes. Small pieces of colored tape easily stuck together to form the clothes. However, the stickiness is temporary; therefore I used an additional layer of glue.
- For the arms, I used twisted paper chord that I extracted from a paper bag. You can also make your own or buy from Amazon by clicking here.
- For the bespectacled eyes, again tape came to my rescue. I used silver and black cello-tape around wiggly eyes purchased from Amazon. Here is the result:
So? What do you think? Do let me know.